How to Maintain Solid Wood Furniture
How to Maintain Solid Wood Furniture
Solid wood furniture is a great investment meant to last a lifetime but to look its best some precautions are simple yet necessary. Let's go over some of the solid wood furniture basics:
Why is it important to maintain solid wood furniture?
Solid wood furniture is not only a beautiful addition to your home, but it is also an investment. Proper maintenance ensures that your furniture lasts for generations, maintaining its beauty and functionality. By following these simple tips, you can keep your solid wood furniture looking as good as new.
How often should you clean solid wood furniture?
Regular cleaning is essential to maintain the appearance of your solid wood furniture. Dusting should be done at least once a week using a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals as they can damage the wood's finish. To protect the appearance of your solid wood furniture, it is crucial to regularly clean it. We recommend dusting at least once a week using a soft, lint-free cloth.
What is the best way to clean solid wood furniture?
To clean solid wood furniture, start by removing any dust or debris with a dry cloth. For stubborn stains, use a damp cloth with a mild soap solution. Wipe the surface gently and dry it immediately to prevent moisture damage. Avoid excessive water or prolonged exposure to liquids. After cleaning the solid wood furniture, make sure to polish it with a furniture wax or polish to restore its shine and protect it from further damage.
How to protect solid wood furniture from scratches?
Prevention is key when it comes to protecting your solid wood furniture from scratches. Place felt pads or coasters under objects that may scratch the surface. Avoid dragging or sliding heavy objects directly on the furniture. Using tablecloths or placemats can also provide an extra layer of protection.
How to maintain the finish of solid wood furniture?
The finish of your solid wood furniture plays a crucial role in its longevity. Avoid placing furniture in direct sunlight, as it can cause fading and discoloration. Use furniture polish or wax specifically designed for wood to restore and maintain the shine. Regularly inspect the furniture for any signs of wear and address them promptly.
What are the common mistakes to avoid when maintaining solid wood furniture?
When maintaining solid wood furniture, there are a few common mistakes to avoid. Firstly, never use harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the wood. Secondly, avoid placing hot or wet objects directly on the furniture, as it can cause stains or warping. Lastly, do not neglect regular cleaning and maintenance, as it can lead to irreversible damage over time.
In addition to common hardwoods like Oak, Mahogany, and Walnut, Ethnicraft makes indoor and outdoor tables from Teak which have unique requirement in order to look their best. Here is some advice about making a more informed decision about which wood works best for you and your space.
Find more info about Ethnicraft furniture as well.
What advice do you have to make a long lasting furniture decision?
Here is some general advice when it comes to taking care of furniture.
• Understand whether your product is intended for indoor and/or outdoor use only.
• Recommended humidity in the room: between 40% and 60%.
• Ideal room temperature: between 14°C/57°F and 21 °C/70 °F.
• To prevent color differences with indoor pieces, do not place your furniture in direct sunlight and move objects placed on the furniture from time to time.
• Open your extendable table the first three weeks after installing and afterwards on a regular basis.
• Avoid exposure to extreme conditions: do not place furniture near heating sources or air-conditioners.
• To prevent staining, we recommend that any spills be removed immediately.
• When cleaning the surface, always work in the direction of the wood grain.
• Use place mats and/or coasters to prevent hot pots and pans, or cold glasses and bottles, from leaving marks on the furniture.
• Do not drag the furniture along the floor, always lift the furniture when moving.
• Always ensure water and solutions used to clean the floor do not come in contact with the furniture's base, as it might leave permanent marks.
Maintaining solid wood furniture is a simple yet essential task to ensure its longevity and beauty. By following these tips, you can enjoy your furniture for years to come. Remember to clean regularly, protect from scratches, and maintain the finish. With proper care, your solid wood furniture will continue to be a cherished part of your home.
Contact our experts at Trade Source Furniture or Ask A Question from any product page for more info.